Friday, March 30, 2012

My Timeline of Social Networking

Remember back in the days when we would write actually letters to each other through the mail?!

I don’t.

Quite frankly, I’ve been using the Internet as a means of communication and social networking for as long as I can remember (minus our phones, of course).

I actually remember my very first blog, Xanga. I was only 12. (And I think 12-year-old kids on Facebook these days are ridiculous!) But hey, everyone was doing it, and all my friends had one. We would use it literally like an online diary, writing what we did, how we feel, etc. And of course commenting each other.

And then came MySpace. I was 13. (Isn’t the minimum requirement age 14?!) Anyways, MySpace was the thing back then! It was the first site we used most similarly to Facebook. But of course, itlike most social networking fads back thendied out within a couple of years.

Ah, the good ol’ Facebook. Okay a little late, but I got my Facebook when I was a ripened 15-year-old! (Just kidding, still young.) I’m probably the biggest fan of Facebook. I admit, I’m addicted. It’s the first thing I check when I wake up, and the last thing I see before I fall asleep. Since moving to New York (from Cali), it’s the best way to keep in touch with old friends. I love posting photos of places I go, foods I eat, and statuses like “That awkward moment when…”. Additionally, since I am a PR/Marketing intern at Edun, I would most often post links or shares about Edun and my boss loves it when my friends comment on them. Facebook has definitely been the longest lasting social networking sites I have committed to, and probably will commit to.

And finally, Twitter. I’m actually a newbie to Twitter. I got it only a few months ago actually, but have been tweeting like a maniac ever since. However, I don’t use it quite use it the same way that I use Facebook. I use Facebook to connect with friends, and Twitter to connect with celebrities, companies, places, etc. It’s harder to be more personal on Twitter since, like I would always say “Twitter is like Facebook on crack.”

- Nina


^ What kind of blogger are you? (comment below :)


No comments:

Post a Comment