Thursday, April 5, 2012

Wearable Communication

The buzz surrounding Bard Graduate Center’s current exhibition, Hats: An Anthology by Stephen Jones, is still ringing strong, even after seven months.  The other day I received a call from one of my (less fashion-minded) friends, recommending that I see this exhibit.  Why is this information significant, you may ask?  My friend lives in Florida.  


As word of this relatively small gallery spreads even beyond the realm of the city’s local news, I think it is interesting to question the root of its massive popularity.  I, for one, was immediately entranced by this collection when I attended back in September, but as someone who has specialized in millinery design, my opinion is more than slightly biased.  Why is the public, the majority of whom doesn’t wear hats, much less spend their free time making them, so drawn to this exhibit?

While the reasons are definitely varied, I think the essential attraction of this exhibit pertains to the philosophy of innovative fashion. While the hats within this show are anything but accessible, exquisite in their design and detail, viewers are led to relate to the work through the path of literal wearability.  An unspoken potential for interaction accompanies the knowledge that these pieces are not meant to remain on a wall or in a glass case, but to interact with the world through the wearer—through you.  Even if you have no desire to place one of these sculptures on your head, the direct line of communication from art, to fashion, to wearer, and finally to world is undeniable.  It’s certainly an interesting medium to consider.